Thursday, June 21, 2007

Journal Jar #2 -- Doodlebug

Do you doodle? What figures tend to come up most often? Boxes? Circles? Faces? When are you most likely to doodle? and for those of you who are interested, feel free to copy any of the journal jar questions and answer them about yourself on your blog or in the comments here. let me know if you do, cuz I'd love to see what you say!

Yes. Guilty as charged. I can't help it....give me a pen and paper and it will end up with something scribbled on it. Especially if it's in my possession while I'm concentrating on something else.....like a meeting or a phone call.

I've always had that tendency. When I was a kid in church, my parents were strict about us paying attention and it killed me not to have anything to do, so we compromised and I was allowed to have a notebook IF I was using it to take notes on the sermons and not to write notes to my friends. Now I'll have to admit, I have written a note or two during church services, although at this point, I tend to feel much like my parents did about the subject, however, if I still had those notebooks full of sermon notes, you'd see all kinds of doodles all around the edge of the paper.

Now mind you, the sermon notes were generally not much more than the title of the message, who was preaching, and the five scriptures he used, so I had quite a bit of room left for doodling.

My favorite thing back then was faces. Particularly guy's faces. Attractive guy faces, no less. Now they weren't of any guys that I knew, just generally the characteristics of male faces that I find most attractive. Come to think of it, if my recollection serves me correctly, I think some of those faces bore quite a bit of similarity to my dear hubby's face. Interesting.

From time to time I drew girls, or flowers.....but that was pretty much it.

Now? Well. Keeping up with kids in church kinda kills the opportunity to take notes on the sermon, so I don't do much writing there anymore, but every now and then I'll have a meeting or a long phone call in which I have a piece of paper in front of me and nothing with which to occupy my hands.

Faces generally don't appear in my doodles anymore, now the majority of the time it's triangles with little rectangles next to them to make them arrows. And then it becomes a box around whatever my notes are....then I do a matching triangle and rectangle set on the other side of the box.....

Occasionally my doodles will include flowers or swirls, but only in the REALLY long meetings.

Now. To conclude this post, I'm going to go google the meanings of doodles. I googled "doodles meanings" before I wrote this post, but when the first result said it would tell you what the doodles you make say about you, I decided I would wait and see what I wrote first before I looked up the meanings. So that way it wouldn't be like I was cheating. *grin*

>Arrows represent direction and ambition. Drawn aggressively, they represent a desire for action. Drawn in careful outline, they indicate a desire for progression or advancement, especially if pointing upwards. Arrows traditionally have masculine associations. Drawn with a heart, it becomes cupid's arrow.
>Regular patterns from geometric shapes tend to indicate an organised and efficient mind. Triangles are a geometrically stable shape but also suggest direction and sense of purpose.
>Doodles of flowers indicate a gentle personality, a love of nature, sometimes childlike innocence or wistfulness.
-from about.com

>Arrows:Arrows indicate a person who is aggressively ambitious. Yikes! I don't think I'm "that"!
>Portraits:Faces are usually doodled by adolescent girls, seeking to produce an idealized self-portrait. Faces in profile, however, can be a sign of an introverted personality. Comic faces are usually drawn by men, indicating a desire to be the centre of attention.
-from bbc

>Many people who doodle may seem like they're not paying attention to what's going on around them. Actually, they're very focused, but not on the doodling—they *are* paying attention, and the doodling is helping them do that. They may not even realize they're doodling until someone points it out to them. HA! Do ya see that, all you people who never believed me when I said I was paying attention?!?! LOL!
>Doodling seems to have two purposes. The first is to help the writer express emotions that may otherwise be stifled because of the situation; for example, it's usually inappropriate in a business meeting to show what you think of your boss's new proposal. But you can doodle all you want, saying how you really feel without anyone's knowing! And doodling can also be a great way to boost your creativity. When used for this purpose it can be a really good tool for problem-solving—although you may not know how you managed to come up with that perfect solution.
>Pictures of boxes can indicate organization and structure.
-from Associated Content

Ahh. Anyways. That is interesting. I'd have to say from reading the few pages I saw, and thinking back to how I feel at the times I usually doodle, that it appears to be on track. Maybe not a hundred percent accurate, but not too far off the mark either (no pun intended).

Anyways. So that's my doodle personality.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting!! I doodle little squiggly lines and arrows. Or bubbles on top of bubbles, and more bubbles. Or I doodle little girls faces with tears. Weird, huh?? LOL!!

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think...but keep it spam free and friendly, or it will be deleted. Thanks! =)