Thursday, January 15, 2009

Judged

Okay, so I know I don't get real deep here very often...I don't usually need to, but I think this is one of those times. I feel like a quote from the intro of Lemony Snicket's (A Series of Unfortunate Events) would be quite appropriate here:

Lemony Snicket: [the Littlest Elf has just come to an abrupt halt] I'm sorry to say that this is not the movie you will be watching. The movie you are about to see is extremely unpleasant. If you wish to see a film about a happy little elf, I'm sure there is still plenty of seating in theatre number two.

So anyways, wow, with that said, I'm really not sure what to say. I've seen a lot of posting here recently about a *body (or bodies) of people* and while I'm sure it's nothing personal against me, as one who is still a part of *one of the bodies* I can't help feeling as if I'm seen as "guilty by association."

I'm not going to try to vindicate myself or the *body of people,* and I seriously hesitated about even saying anything at all for fear of someone thinking I was doing it in retaliation (which I am not), however, after giving it much thought and prayer, I will say this:

Let's imagine there is a person who works in a plant that manufactures gasoline. So this person goes to work and puts their whole heart into their job, doing their best to make sure that the gasoline is produced as efficiently and properly as possible.

One day the person finds a problem with the way the gasoline is being produced, and changes it to try to solve the problem. In the process, (right, wrong, or indifferent) their supervisor becomes angry with them and gives them a demotion. The person is not fired, they may continue to remain employed if they desire, yet they choose to leave the company entirely. (Again, right, wrong, or indifferent).

Time goes on and problems which may or may not have been the cause of the person's issues inevitably come to a head, resulting in a change of management.

Now, based on this scenario, let's imagine the choices this person can make at this point. (And I also say that on the flip side, this could also be applied to the coworkers feelings about the person who chose to leave the company and the choices THEY could make)

Should the person:

  • Continue to carry hard feelings toward this company (or the individual who left) based on interactions with a person or persons who are no longer there?
  • Lump all their previous coworkers (or anyone who leaves) into the same category as the supervisor (or the one that left) regardless of their involvement in the situation?
  • Refuse to buy any kind of gas because you were hurt by an individual in a company who manufactured it?
  • Say that there is no possible way that the gasoline at that company can be of any good to anyone based on the problem they found in the gas production when they were there?
  • Instead of revisiting the situation to find out if it has changed, continue to go on judging the company (or the individual who left) based on past experience, and even turning others away from the company (or the individual) in the process.

OR...choose to let it go, forgive...and move on.

The scripture that came to my mind was Luke 6:37, particularly the last part of that verse, "forgive, and ye shall be forgiven." Then I read that whole chapter and it is all good, but this segment stuck out to me, mainly because it's Jesus talking and I'll take what He said over anybody else.

(22)Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake. (23)Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets. (24)But woe unto you that are rich! for ye have received your consolation. (25)Woe unto you that are full! for ye shall hunger. Woe unto you that laugh now! for ye shall mourn and weep. (26)Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets. (27)But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, (28)Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you. (29)And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloak forbid not to take thy coat also. (30)Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again. (31)And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise. (32)For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them. (33)And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same. (34)And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again. (35)But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil. (36)Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful. (37)Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven: (38)Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again. (Luke 6:22-38)

Forgiveness is something we ALL need to work on. We're all human, we all mess up, sometimes God expects more out of us than He does others. Who are we to tell God that He should expect more out of others, or that He's expecting too much out of us?

For myself, God wants me to forgive. To forgive without worrying about whether or not the other person asked for it, to forgive without wondering if the other person "deserves" it (really, NONE of us "deserve" forgiveness). To forgive without waiting for God to reign down fire and brimstone on them like we sometimes think He should. Is that hard sometimes? You better believe it. But is it worth it? To be able to go up to anyone and hug them and tell them you love them and MEAN it? Regardless of past history. Regardless of whether or not they even LIKE you? Yeah, it's worth it.

People may have hard feelings against me and even for writing this post, but I just want you to know, I sincerely love you anyway. Nothing I have written here is said with any malice or spite or even to point fingers. Just to say that no matter how you feel about me or how you feel about what I say or think or if you choose to label me based on where I go to church...

I choose to forgive. I choose to respect your stand and your beliefs (even if I disagree). And I love you regardless of whether or not the feeling is mutual.

And if I have, in any way, ever hurt anyone, all I can ask is that the same forgiveness be extended to me.

And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise. (Luke 6:31)

9 comments:

  1. Great thoughts! I can remember a time when I was very upset with Casey and it would have been easy then to burn the bridge. Fortunately we worked through it ... with the examples we have had it could only be God that allowed us to maintain a positive relationship.

    I have a lot of thought but this is your blog :) Thanks for the post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said, Faith. What a beautiful post! Really. I think this is an area where we all can improve. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some intriguing points, yet have written them out using wisdom and I don't think this would be considered offensive by anyone at all. Thanks for the great post. Enjoyed reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How could anybody be upset with me Mike?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Faith...I really enjoyed reading this post. You bring up some very good points, and I don't see why anyone would find them offensive. I have written on my website about the church situation that I went through, which I know many others went through. Even a "change in management" did not help. I know that it is a very hard thing to go through, and it takes a significant amount of time to heal from (almost 8 years for me). I think it would be very hard for me to go back to a place that was the cause of so much pain, but I haven't quit "buying gas" all together. I know from personal experience that it takes a lot to sort everything out...it is very hard to not feel very angry about the way you were treated by certain individuals who were following God. I did not ever lump everyone at the church in with them though, or hold anything against them. It has taken a lot of work and help from God to forgive, and I am constantly working on it. I hope that my posts have not offended anyone, because they are simply my way of getting off my chest things that I have never been able to say. Your comparisons did make a lot of sense to my situation and I appreciate your thoughts very much! It does feel good to hug someone and say I love you and MEAN it. If you weren't so far away I would...so virtual hug, and I love you! Sorry for such a long comment:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I see alot of the points you've made and they're very good ones. But again (right, wrong, or indifferent) "new management" will probably have to "fall in step" with the previous managers lead to an extent, or else all the "employees" would "quit" because of too drastic a change. Why not buy "wholesale from the Manufacturer Himself?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've brought out some good points and wrote your post well. I know, for me, I didn't write my post with malice or "hate". I just wanted to share some thoughts I felt God was dealing with me on. I still question some things and want God's peace on it before taking action. Even as I wrote my "part 1" I thought how that there are still good christains within the fellowship I left and don't lump everyone together. Even I have contact with various ones still within it. However, a change in management did not help. There is a lot one has to work through. It takes time. Years. It's a day by day process. It takes a lot of help from God to forgive, but even as I do I don't feel I can continue to support a management's ministry b/c they aren't sorry for their actions or tried to right them. Even so, I'm learning to move on one day at a time. Leaning on our Heavenly Father to direct my paths. Love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post. My goal is to face the hard facts and still fellowship the whole body of Christ. I now know that I can disagree with someone and totally except them as a child of God. I no longer feel the need to keep my distance from people who have been posted with the Scarlet Letter. I spent years trying to please my pastor. I supported people and ideas that were turning souls away from Christ. It is impossible to address these issues or teachings without people passing across our minds. My goal is to attack the idea, Not the people associated with the teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1:46 PM

    Thank-you for your post. You made some good points, and in a nice way. I do have a question in my mind about how far forgiveness goes. Don't get me wrong, I do believe in forgiveness. But what if someone is not sorry? What should your feelings be towards that person?

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think...but keep it spam free and friendly, or it will be deleted. Thanks! =)