Friday, August 01, 2008

Friday Fixin's

Okay, so here's the potluck dish I took to church last week. Hopefully everyone who wanted it will be able to grab it here. *grin*

I'm gonna type up my version of it, along with my own spin-off shortcut version, and then I'll go look it up online and see how far off I may have gotten in the many months (maybe years) since I fixed it by the recipe card (which is nowhere to be found).

Mexiconi (that's what we call it -- Mexican Macaroni)

1 package of Velveeta (shells and cheese packets)
1 (8oz) sour cream
3/4 of a package of taco seasoning
1 cup of salsa (whatever flavor suits your taste)
2 cups of shredded cheese (cheddar is what I generally use, and I'm just guessing on the 2 cups....I shred the blocks of cheese, and I shred approximately 3/4 of a 1/2 pound block of cheese)
3 (or more) handfuls of taco chips (I personally like the gold, but I've used all kinds....it really doesn't matter)

Preheat oven to 375. Make macaroni just like normal. After it's cooked and cheese packet mixed in, add the sour cream and taco seasoning. Mix well and then put half the mixture in 8x8 baking dish. Spread half of the salsa over the layer and then half of the cheese. Then put the remainder of the macaroni, the remainder of salsa, and finally the remainder of cheese. Cover dish with tinfoil and bake for around 15 minutes. Uncover, crumble the chips on top and bake for another 5 minutes.

For the church dinner, I made it in the morning and stuck it in the fridge through church and then got it out and put it in the oven for about 25-30 minutes and it did just fine....which is a nice little thing to know....I might experiment with freezing it sometime.

Shortcut version: Make macaroni like normal, put back over very low heat and mix in sour cream and seasoning, then throw in about a half cup of salsa and cheese is optional....if you use it, it doesn't take much. Once it's mixed in good and all heated through (usually by the time you get it all mixed up, it's heated through) serve and just crumble chips over individual portions.


In other news, I have two kids available if anyone is interested. One is currently sitting on the pot refusing to do "Ew gross" and the other is pushing her limits while in time out....both of them are current prospects for an early bedtime b/c they are driving their mom crazy. On the bright side, they WILL ride in a stroller for a two mile walk without complaining (much). That was yesterday. LOL.

By the way, I'm just kidding on their availability of course. Mostly. LOL.

Later!

Oh yeah....almost forgot...here is the ORIGINAL version (I'm not all into the meat...I guess that's why I forgot that part. Hahaha...)

PS if you want a laugh check out these pictures.... LOL. (password required to the private pictures---email me if you don't have access and I can send you an invite)

4 comments:

  1. K, I'm so gonna try the Mexiconi. Sounds really yummy!

    I was looking at your list of books. I just finished Rekindled. Very good book. Do you know if there are others out in that series? I need to get back to the library to look at the book.

    Oh, I thought I was able to look at your private blog...but I can't get on. Can you hook me up again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I tried my own version, I was just going off memory...my family liked it. was nothing like you had, looked good but tasted like Chef Boryadee's beefaroni. I didn't like it at all. Now that I have it on paper I will have to try it again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someday, when I actually cook, I'll have to try this!

    And it looks like I need access to the pics too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two miles! I'm impressed! I did catch up on all your other posts, I just didn't comment on each. One thing: Tell Bro. KC that it's munchkins room, she's a girl, whats wrong with pink?! Granted I'm not a fan of pink but munchkin is! So...if you don't want to tell him, than I can...I'm not his wife, therefore can't get in as much trouble *wink*

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think...but keep it spam free and friendly, or it will be deleted. Thanks! =)