Monday, December 01, 2008

Turkey Day Details

Better late than never, right?

Well, the turkey in the crockpot adventure went rather well.  I still thought it turned out a tad dry, not as moist as I thought it would be, but the taste was fine.  I'm guessing the dryness may have been caused by the fact that when I was preparing the 8 lb turkey breast for the crock, I was quite grossed out by the skin hanging down at the bottom.  So I thought I'd trim it up a little.  And then I got kitchen scissor happy and skinned the whole thing.  And I'm thinking maybe it would have been a little more moist if I hadn't been so grossed out by the skin thing. 

EW.  Raw meat...that I have to TOUCH....and get real cozy with it.  Oh   *GAG*

IMG_2218eAnywho, the other part is that it cooked so thoroughly that it was impossible to slice because it pretty much shredded off the bone when Pawpaw tried to cut it.  So we had turkey particles instead of turkey slices.  AH WELL. 

For a first ever turkey cooking attempt, at least it TASTED good. 

The recipes I kinda-sorta based my efforts on were this one by Crockpot365 and this one that I found on RecipeZaar.  Perhaps if I had just picked ONE and followed it exactly, the presentation would have turned out as good as the taste....LOL!  Hindsight.  It torments me so frequently.

IMG_2219e Next we have Exhibit B over here, which is the lovely biscuits.  Thank you again, Mr. Pillsbury.  Where would I be without you?  IMG_2231e

Then we have KC's plate...he ate the yummy cranberry sauce that his mom made, but he skipped the deviled eggs.  I believe that may be because he has enough devil...don't ya think?  LOL!!! 

IMG_2235eAnd speaking of the devil....lol...check out this evil glare I'm getting from the handsome devil that is my hubby.  I'm going to guess it's the camera he's glaring at, otherwise I might get a complex.  LOL.

 IMG_2232eThen there's the Munchkin with her pawpaw.  You can see mawmaw's right arm over there, but that's all of her that you'll see on here today, or else I would end up like that turkey in the first picture up there--chopped up on a platter....(mawmaw just had back surgery a little over a week ago and wasn't feeling up to par...and the few pictures that she was in proved it...LOL...which is why she would kill me if I posted them here. HAH...I'll just save them for blackmail. LOL).IMG_2298e

And over there is me after a day of cooking.  Yikes.  I could totally blackmail myself. 

In my defense, it was a very busy day.  And I was very tired.  And I'm getting old.  It's really bad when you look at a picture of yourself and see your grandmother staring back at you.  ARGH.  The horror. 

Which brings to mind a totally random memory from this past weekend, when my friend, K, told me something along the lines of... "You know you're getting old when you raise your eyebrows at your child to scold him and he reaches up and rubs his finger over the wrinkles in your forehead."

So back to the turkey day post....that pretty much sums up our thanksgiving.  My parents were out of town and I was so busy with all the cooking that I was a very bad kid and never did get a chance to call.  So I called the next day to wish them a Happy (Day After) Thanksgiving.  Oops.  They weren't mad.  Parents are good like that. 

Random Kid Update:

  • K-man watched the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving back at the beginning of November and just giggled and giggled through it.  That was totally cute and I got a kick out of it....then I called him Charlie Brown a couple of times when I was playing with him and he would say he wasn't "Cha-wee Bwown."  But then when you asked him who he was, he started saying, "I'm Cha-wee BWOWN!"  Well, tonight, I think it was KC who said something to him..."Get up, Charlie Brown" or something like that and he goes...."I'm not Cha-wee Bwown!  I'm Um. Um. Um. Um. SNOOPY!"  KC and I just looked at each other and BUSTED UP laughing.  He was hilarious.  He is also doing good on the potty training thing...a few accidents but mostly doing good...*knock on wood*...and he is REALLY picky now about his clothes.  Particularly which underwear he wants to wear or not wear.  *SIGH* 
  • As for the Munchkin, her hair is getting really long...I was looking at pictures from last Christmas and it was just to her shoulders...now she will actually keep a hairband in her hair and it's about 3 inches past her shoulders.  She looks adorable.  Going through the "telling stories" stage, which is rather frustrating.  Especially when I witness something and ask her about it and she adamantly refuses to own up to it even when I tell her I saw what happened.  Oh well...it's just a stage, it's just a stage, it's just a stage.  This too shall pass, right? 

Anywho, I think that's it and I think this post is quite long enough. 

Goodnight!

2 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you re : the RAW meat . That's why they sell plastic gloves at Sam's . I do NOT touch raw meat without them ! Thank God for Pillsbury biscuits too ! They are a timesaver .

    Your kids are so cute ! We watched the Polar Express last week . Carter loved it .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like yours turned out great. Great you had a nice Thanksgiving. We did too. I never really did think about using scissors on a cooked turkey. Talk about a nip/tuck.*smile* When did you become a licensed MD for fowl? Cute post. Keep it up. I needed a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think...but keep it spam free and friendly, or it will be deleted. Thanks! =)