Sunday, June 10, 2012

Gardening Update Overload

Remember the gardening I talked about?  The one that is trying to take over the world (or at least the portion of the world that I call my backyard)?  Well, I took pictures of it tonight…forgive the grainy pics…it was getting dark and I used my point and shoot. 

This is the cucumber plant and tomato plant AFTER I trimmed them back:

IMG_1605web

I don’t know if you remember me talking about the raised beds, but I don’t think I ever got around to showing pictures of them.  These are the pallet boxes that my dad got for free from his work.  I just painted them with deck paint so you can’t see the words that were stamped on the sides and then filled them with dirt and potting soil.  =)

The two boxes on the right are peppers (sweet, jalapeno, and hot bananas).

IMG_1606web

The early girl…she’s been putting off some sweet tomatoes…I keep trimming her back though, and she’s still about to take over the outside light there. 

IMG_1607web

My dog is not a small dog…and I planted this box outside the window in potatoes and watermelon because they’re low-growing plants, right?  Well, they make my dog look tiny…and hopefully they aren’t a problem to plant together…lol…wonder if I’ll get sweet potatoes instead of those little red ones…or maybe white watermelons…haha.  Anyway, I can’t tell which plants are which anymore…they’ve all grown together and gone crazy.  Oh yes, and there’s garlic in one corner, too…and I think a stray tomato plant from last year.  This plot has evidently got something right in the soil….it went crazy last year, too.   

IMG_1608web

And the hot banana’s are going NUTS, too.  I picked all these off yesterday when I tied them to stakes because they were so loaded with peppers the plants wouldn’t even stand up anymore.  And you can see the plant…there’s 3x that many still ON the plants.  Anyone need some hot peppers?  I’ll share.  =) 

IMG_1599webIMG_1612web

These next ones aren’t ripe yet but look at these huge boys…they’re called Goliath tomatoes…no wonder.  I put my hand in the picture for scale…I have delicate hands next to these giants.  LOL. 

IMG_1604web

And this is my $15 fern from the greenhouse down the road.  It’s kinda monstrous, too.  It was so potbound the roots had grown over the sides and wrapped around the pot.  LOL…it was a BEAST to replant.  But it’s doing great!

IMG_1602web

Finally.  last ones….

Remember that planter I showed you…the concrete blocks that I painted…

Here’s the picture from before,  when I planted it, and then the picture from tonight.  =)

IMG_0259web IMG_1618web

This is the bean plant in the end of that planter.  This one was from seed…and the Munchkin and I already got enough beans off it for one serving each…they were terrific.  =)  No one else in the family likes them, so these three plants in this one container produce just the right amount. =)

IMG_1619web

And that’s it.  Well, there’s more plants out there on the deck but you’ll have to come visit me to see them…pictures don’t do them justice.  LOL. 

It feels kinda like a greenhouse (or maybe hothouse) on my back deck these days…I love it.  If you read all this, then thanks…hope I didn’t bore you too much.  =) 

I have some other thoughts on my mind but I’ll save them for another post and say goodnight for now. =)  (((HUGS)))

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:00 AM

    So let me see if I have this straight. If your plants are inside the house, they are doomed. If your plants are outside the house, they try to take over the world. That's scary! But see, you can't say you don't have a green thumb ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those boxes look familiar! Oh that's right, i have the same ones, only I painted mine green. :) Jeff gave my Dad a tone of those. They are very handy for raised beds! I love them bc the moles can't reach my plants and eat everything in their path.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE IT!!!! They look awesome. Ours haven't produced yet and I didn't plant NEAR as much this year. :/ Yours looks GREAT though. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think...but keep it spam free and friendly, or it will be deleted. Thanks! =)