Friday, October 05, 2007

Anger Management Issues

I think. I think I work with idiots. I also think I am included in said idiots.

When, oh WHEN, will I ever LEARN??????

Today was one of those days that I would just as soon NOT had to go to work. Actually, today was one of those days when I would have gladly paid money for the ability to sink into the floor or be like Violet on the Incredibles....ya know, when she just gets invisible? Yah. That would have been a lovely superpower to have had possession of today.

*sigh*

Anyways. So that sounded all confusing.

Let me try to tell it without griping too much (since I got a gentle lecture on that negative attitude today, I'll try to get a grip on griping....lol). So just the facts.

Fact: I work with crazy people.
Fact: I do not work in a mental institution.
Fact: These people are supposed to be intelligent.
Fact: I have no clue why un-intelligent things keep happening.
Fact: This is cause for an occasional loss of control of my anger.
Sarcasm: I'm sure I've never done ANYTHING dumb in MY life.
Fact: I get highly agitated at my own dumb moves frequently.
Fact: Between my dumb moves and the dumb moves of others which result in me reacting with dumb moves, I get aggravated a lot.

Conclusion: I might be a candidate for anger management classes.

Today? Case in point.

This RUSH order of tshirts at work which I put through a requisition to purchase so that we can get them back in time for the fundraiser.....I mentioned to my approver the day that I submitted it, that if he didn't mind, please approve it immediately and also pass the word along to the other folks in the (long) list of approvers so that this could be a quicker than normal process (due in part to the fact that we're being charged for a RUSH order and if we can't get them back b/c it didn't get through the system quick enough, then it kinda defeats the purpose of "RUSH"). So I submitted it. I have also been extremely busy in the 24 or so hours following that action, so I hadn't checked my mail other than to glance through it and grab the ones that seemed urgent. Like the email in which my approver copied me on his note to the other approvers saying that he'd approved it and please get it through as soon as possible and here's why...blah blah blah.

So today around three-thirty, I finally get around to clearing out my inbox, answering all the calls and what not, and realize that I haven't seen anymore of the little email notices saying that each approver has signed off on it. Now I know my approver has approved it, b/c I saw an email on that, so I call the next approver (who, by the way, I am completely terrified by....mostly because I've been on the receiving end of her wrath more times than I can count, for reasons that have sometimes, but not always, been my fault) and VERY timidly ask her if there were any problems with my purchase request that were causing her not to approve it so that it could move down the line.

Well. Turns out, my approver didn't really approve it. That little email I saw, was the one where he SAID he approved it, b/c I was so busy, I must have missed the fact that it wasn't the o-feeshul email notice. OOPS. So now I feel REALLY dumb. Not only that, but my approver has left for the day. Somehow I missed that memo. GREAT. This is Friday, even if he finds it over the weekend, the chances of it getting through by Monday are NIL, since the business office is closed on weekends.

So I hang up the phone, screech out (not at the top of my lungs but pretty loudly) "ARRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHH!!!!! I WORK WITH STINKIN IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!"

Then I bang my head on my desk a few times (not really, but I felt like it) and then grab one of those big bright yellow post it notes and write--- PERSON-- THE TSHIRT ORDER HAS NOT BEEN APPROVED BY YOU! Then I got up and marched down the hall to his office.

Now I have to mention at this point, that my supervisor was not in her office either, which is right next door to her supervisor's office (who is my approver for requisitions). Basically, the place was pretty deserted, being that it was Friday and most of the classes were gone for the day, as well as a good bit of our staff. So I walked up to my approver's door which was closed and the lights were out and I let loose a little frustration and SLAMMED that post-it note on the door, right about eye level. Then I spun on my heel.....

...to see my approver's supervisor (who works like in the main office down the hill and hasn't been in our building in probably 3 months) walking toward me with raised eyebrows.

In the midst of my aggravation, both at the original situation and at the fact that my supervisor's supervisor's supervisor witnessed my display of temper, I looked straight at him, said, "ARGHGHHHH" and then spun around again and walked away from him. Which probably wasn't the brightest idea in the world....but hey....

Well, anyway, I didn't get very far. Maybe three steps.

"Whoa," he says, "what's the problem here?"

So of course....I told him. And he suggested we call my approver on his cell phone. Which I don't have. So then he calls my terror and says, override the approver and lets get this thing through, which required him to have to go back to his office when he left to put his approval on it (and he was already off work....which was rather nice of him). Then I got a very gentle lecture on being negative and how that doesn't help anyone or anything (no, it doesn't, he's right.....I guess technically Jesus probably wouldn't have slammed the post-it note on the door, OR yelled that when they hung up the phone either, for that matter....oops).....and then he left. I saw him in the hall a few minutes later, caught by more complaints from different people. LOL. I thought that was funny....hello....it's not just one person that is having a problem with crazy here....

*sigh* Anyways. For the record, they got the same lecture.

So, I guess that just leaves you, dear blog, to which I can express my frustration to keep me from slamming post-it notes on doors. ROFL. If I don't vent somewhere, I'll just blow....see, that's why I had problems today....I haven't been able to post any good vents lately. HAHA.

I'm just glad he didn't walk down the hall when I was screaming about the idiots I work with.

As an aside, I do work in a somewhat solitary part of the hall now, and the few people that work in earshot weren't in their offices at the time.....so it wasn't like I was totally careless about voicing my agony. Also as an aside, I really do keep a pretty good reign on my temper, and for you straightlaced, who may take offence at this post, it's rather tongue in cheek....

One more aside....I refuse to put "asides" explaining myself on all posts, so if you are the type to offend easily, you're more than welcome....to find another blog to read. I say that as nice as I possibly can, but I don't really like the pins and needles feeling of wondering if someone is going to take this or that the wrong way.....the only place I like my pins and needles are in the sewing box. Don't forget, there is a content disclaimer and statement of intent for this blog over in the sidebar. For what it's worth, this blog is "me." Love me or leave me.

Hey. I ain't mad about it. Anger management and all......and I'll love ya anyways.

Oh. For a smile....random bits of conversation heard around the Always House tonight:

While shaking fists and mostly playfully attempting to look angry: "ME not HAPPY, BOOOBBBBB!!!!"
ClipartCredit

Pulling back from hug first thing this morning: "Mommy, you not mell good. You tink. EW."
Hurt: "Huh? I just got out of the shower, I smell the same as always! What do you mean, I stink?" Deo? check. brushed teeth? check. perfume? same as usual, check. I'm confused.
Apologetically: "You mell good, mommy. You not tink. It's okay."

2 hours later: ohhhhhh....that's right, i had to use that funky sample conditioner in the shower cuz my regular was empty and it does smell different. not bad, just different....kinda coconutty and slightly more scented than usual.....that must have been what she meant. oops. guess she don't like coconut. LOL

Talking to the rolled up bath mat package that we were buying at walmart tonight that she was holding in the buggy: "YOU not LISTEN, baby. ME listen. YOU BAD. You need listen to me!"
hmmm.....so maybe this explains the note on her daily sheet from preschool, "had a hard time listening today." LOL. Just funny to see her talking to a rolled up bath mat. BWAHAHA.

Anywho.

Me tired now.

Later.

2 comments:

  1. I think that common sense has just flat out left the workplace..

    I am still trying to figure out when it became okay for grown women to not flush the toilet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read this, not sure how I missed it!! LOL!! I so feel your pain. I often wonder how such intelligent people can behave in the most idiotic manner! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think...but keep it spam free and friendly, or it will be deleted. Thanks! =)